Search the Web

Custom Search

Hello!

Welcome to this review site. These reviews are opinions based on my experiences - they are not meant to be definitive.  I invite you to add comments, view the films, see the shows, visit the places, taste the food and form your own opinions - we are unique individuals.  
Looking for something specific? Use the search feature in the header bar at the top of the page to search posts on this blog site only.  Want to browse and see what I have posted? Scroll down, in the side bar are my archives, click on a month and look at the titles.  Want to browse a specific section?  Use the labels at the side to call up posts on that topic.  Want to view the website of the place I visited, click the title of my post.
Hope you enjoy reading.

Monday, April 27, 2009

TAKOSUSHI: Blending cultures for a unique eating experience

My southern guide enjoys spicier Mexican foods and I enjoy Asian cuisine, specifically sushi, so she took me to a place where the two worlds meet TAKOSUSHI.  What? The creation of Kevin Goldsmith TAKOSUSHI is a trendy restaurant where you can sample good food from Mexico or Japan.

If there was a stage at the back, TAKOSUSHI may feel more like a bar than a restaurant.  Along one side of this narrow corridor a number of non-descript brown tables sit in front of a high backed bench mounted on the wall.  There is no pretense here, no wine glasses or cutlery on the tables, no hostess, no need for reservations; walk in and grab an empty table where ever you want.  If you prefer not to be so "formal" sit down at the bar, the other side of the corridor,  order a drink over the counter and watch them make sushi.  This casual atmosphere makes TAKOSUSHI a warm and inviting place to sit and enjoy a meal.  It is a hip little restaurant located at 34 South Main Street in the heart of downtown Greenville, SC and its location makes it a great place to stop after work.  As such, it draws a fun business crowd who have thrown off their suit jackets and ties.  

Having a good time at TAKOSUSHI is easy with a great menu and full bar. To start things off order yourself a drink of wine, beer, or liquor; whatever you fancy the bar has a good selection, including Japanese imported beer.  If you want a taste of Mexico my southern guide highly recommends the margarita made with top shelf tequila.  While they are fixing your drinks browse the menu.  Just because it is  conveniently  laid out with a section for Mexico and one for Japan does not mean you have to order one or the other.  Take your time and order whatever you like, mix your flavors or not, either way you are in for a taste sensation. We started our meal with the green chile queso dip.  Essentially cheese and bean dip, almost a soup, it was more flavorful than it looked.  Lightly spiced with green chile and other ingredients this appetizer went down very quickly.  Staying with the Mexican theme the chicken quesadilla arrived at our table. The rich blend of cheeses on the soft tortilla were a great compliment to our appetizer, but I found it a little light on the chicken.  Still very tasty, but I wanted more chicken flavor in my quesadilla.  Not disappointed or deterred, I moved onto the Japanese side.  Primarily a menu of rolls and sashimi I decided to try a few things.  The miso soup was light, a little sharp, and warm exactly as it tasted when I ordered it in Japan.  Following that, a traditional california roll and the Unforgettable roll.  Shrimp tempura, mayo, apple glaze and tuna all sprinkled with jalapeno make the Unforgettable roll, well unforgettable. Both of them were delicious.  We arrived early and as I sat back fully sated I noticed that at six o'clock the place already had a crowd full of smiles.

I was worried that with such distinct flavors from different cultures one would over power the other; however, I found each item to be very unique and distinct in its flavor.  Nothing blending or overpowering so I was treated to a true taste of both worlds at the same seating.  If it is your first trip to TAKOSUSHI I recommend going during happy hour so you can spread your dollar a little further and try a bit more of their menu.  If you are making a return trip then you probably already have a favorite or two and know that for a reasonable price you get a generous portion of whatever delight you order.

No comments: