Search the Web

Custom Search

Hello!

Welcome to this review site. These reviews are opinions based on my experiences - they are not meant to be definitive.  I invite you to add comments, view the films, see the shows, visit the places, taste the food and form your own opinions - we are unique individuals.  
Looking for something specific? Use the search feature in the header bar at the top of the page to search posts on this blog site only.  Want to browse and see what I have posted? Scroll down, in the side bar are my archives, click on a month and look at the titles.  Want to browse a specific section?  Use the labels at the side to call up posts on that topic.  Want to view the website of the place I visited, click the title of my post.
Hope you enjoy reading.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hyatt Place Charlotte, NC

Across the globe you can walk into almost any hotel and find your way around quite quickly. Regardless of the chain they seem to have the same familiar feel and layout.  There are some exceptions to the rule of course and if you are looking for the familiar hotel feel you will not find it at the Airport Hyatt Place in Charlotte.

Walking through the front doors I stopped short, took a look around and, wondered where the reception desk was.  I walked over to the café to inquire where I should check in and discovered it was there. Hyatt's newest brand, Hyatt Place, goes for a casual feel making it feel like your local Starbucks; complete with rounded glass case full of pastries and drinks, small tables that sit two or four (if you slide them together), a get it yourself coffee stand, and a counter to pay for it all.  As it turns out this café counter is also main reception. Expecting the collared shirt uniforms and the formal reception desk the sweater wearing (brandishing a Hyatt logo) host caught me a little off guard.  Nonetheless a warm smile and great service soon brought me back to the regular routines.  I checked in without incident and was informed the café was open for continental breakfast 7am - 10am, that I could use the self serve terminal to order anything from the menu, or get table service any time I wanted.  Room service was available of course, seasonal pool out back,  free wi-fi throughout the building or use our business cubicle and "is there anything else I can do for you sir?".  Not at the moment.  The nouveau styling was a nice change setting this hotel apart from its contemporaries.  I took my key and headed up to my room.

The king suite I reserved on line was very luxurious.  The open concept room was exceptionally spacious for one, but if you travel with company, the short divider in the center of the room gave a suggestion of two separate rooms.  Laid out with modern furnishings there was the corner couch, the 42 inch LCD flat screen television (on a swivel to view from bed or couch), a comfortable work space, small kitchenette including fridge, a well padded and pillowed bed and a restroom with sink and mirror separate from the facilities.  Except for the restroom it was very comfortable.  The toilet and tub seemed squeezed into what used to be a shallow walk in closet.  Even with the sink and mirror separated from the facilities, with the restroom door closed it felt a little claustrophobic.  Regardless, there was ample space to stretch out and leave the claustrophobia behind as I swiveled the flat screen to where I wanted it while I rested.

This comfortable and different Hyatt Place is located at 4119 South Stream Blvd., Charlotte, NC just a few minutes outside of the Charlotte Douglas International  Airport and a short drive  to some city hotspots.  Enjoy your stay.

No comments: