Search the Web

Custom Search

Hello!

Welcome to this review site. These reviews are opinions based on my experiences - they are not meant to be definitive.  I invite you to add comments, view the films, see the shows, visit the places, taste the food and form your own opinions - we are unique individuals.  
Looking for something specific? Use the search feature in the header bar at the top of the page to search posts on this blog site only.  Want to browse and see what I have posted? Scroll down, in the side bar are my archives, click on a month and look at the titles.  Want to browse a specific section?  Use the labels at the side to call up posts on that topic.  Want to view the website of the place I visited, click the title of my post.
Hope you enjoy reading.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Rui Sousa: Plastics Artists

I was recently contacted by this artist inviting me to take a look at his work.  He is a plastics artist and I believe he hails from Portugal.  I took a look at his site and found it to be very interesting.  I openly admit that I am not an art critic, in truth I have no real knowledge of various kinds of art other than that of film and to a good degree food.  With art I also feel it is important to see it in person, something that may be textured, or three dimensional, or using a special media is lost in a photograph.  With all of that said I offer up my humble impressions of Rui Sousa's work.

There are a number of individual portfolios within his work. Each one following a different title and theme.  As I looked through them what struck me most was the difference in each portfolio. Some of the images were disturbing to me.  A mix of natural and unnatural things or a blending of creatures that sat uneasily with me.  Other portfolios were images that reminded me of childhood. Light images that were playful and colourful. Images I could see sitting beside Paul Frank items or hanging on the walls of a children's room.  

With that said I encourage you to take a look for yourself and see how the images effect you.  http://ruisousaartworks.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

Marissa Campúa said...

And What is his site?
My daughter has been working in galleries for 4 years, I'm an art lover/maker myself, plus I also do crafts. But I'd like to see Sousa's work anyway... Thanks

Chaos said...

Marissa,

Thanks for dropping by the site. I have updated the blog to include the address in the text, however; if you click on a title it will take you directly to the site. Enjoy

Rui Sousa said...

Hello, Chaos.
Fist of all I want to thank you for your visit to my work. Second I want to thank you for you wonderful words about my work, for one that it´s not an art critic, you understand very well my work.
It´s persons like you that make this world a better place to live.

Hugs and thank you very much.
Rui Sousa

Chaos said...

Rui,

The pleasure was mine to look at your work and I appreciated the invite to do so. Thank you. I am pleased that my comments identified understanding of your art. As someone who does not know anything about the formal practice of art in that form I solely responded to the way I felt and what it evoked in me emotionally and mentally. I thank you for your kind remarks and hope that our energy will offer out some inspiration to others.